Relationship Manager, Community Services, London Borough of Croydon
The London Borough of Croydon is one of the larger London boroughs issuing approximately 120,000 penalty charge notices per year. In 2008 the Borough went to the market looking for a parking enforcement IT supplier to deliver a future proofed world class parking enforcement solution that would meet the needs of the council and aligned to corporate ICT strategies. Croydon Council understood in the world of ongoing legislation and procedural changes and to avail of future technology changes it needed a highly configurable and modular IT parking enforcement system.
The council competitively procured Globetech and the GTicket suite to enable their objectives to be achieved and in several key areas surpassed their high expectations.
Today the London Borough of Croydon has a world class parking management system, deployed and hosted by GlobeTech. The Council and GlobeTech partnership has deliver with minimum disruption a vastly improved service across all departments and users.
Globetech worked collaboratively with other council partners, CapGemini, Xerox, KoFax and ВТ to successfully implement the solution in aggressive timescales and in time for UKs incoming Traffic Management Act.
GlobeTech’s web based GTicket solution progresses and streamlines the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) process from issuance to final payment or closure, allowing full back-end reporting at all stages. Integration with other GlobeTech modules such as Clamping and Removals, CCTV enforcement, Permit Management, GIS recording and mapping. Work Flow management. Document management, MIS reporting and many 3rd party modules to facilitates allied operations to be managed through the same system. Every aspect of a GlobeTech solution reduces the window of time between PCN issue and revenue collection by reducing on-street errors as well as enabling a full and accurate audit trail.
Working in partnership with GlobeTech, Croydon has realised the following improvements, efficiency and customer benefits facilitating organisational change and service redesign which in turn yielded efficiency savings of £1.3million per annum.
- Faster and accurate processing, with higher levels of automation and integration, to increase productivity and efficiency, leading to lower costs.
- Improved revenue, debt recovery and audit controls through the seamless management of all payment types – including internet, telephone, postal and cash payments – with integration into existing corporate financial management systems and Pay Point.
- Quicker PCN issue on street with modernized handhelds and improved evidence availability in back office.
- Process reengineering – the automation in the parking system means that many manual processes (officer time) have been replaced by automated processes enabling better use of back office resources.
- Bulk printing and scanning, including saving time and costs.
- An integrated “Permits” solution to reduce operating costs, improve operational efficiency and enhance protection against fraud – as well as improving service to Croydon citizens and providing the foundation for cashless parking in support of reducing the fraud, crime and revenue losses associated with P&D machines.
- Improved Disaster Recovery arrangements – All of the IT infrastructure housed in a controlled secure data centre with a complete copy housed elsewhere for disaster recovery / Business Continuity purposes if ever required.
- Workflow system delivers controlled work allocation ensuring all work processed in time and avoiding the need to write off of any income as out of time.
- More readily available performance Information to ensure teams and staff are working to implemented business rules and targets.
- Realised savings on staff numbers in the back office and concurrently increased output.
- Regular application upgrades to keep pace with legislative changes to future proof the council against the increasingly complex demands of parking, traffic and street management enforcement, as well as the wider community safety obligations being placed upon local authorities.
- Internet based application Access Croydon and contact centre access to system for payments and alike and improve effectiveness of customer service and reduce avoidable contact N114.
- Environmental benefits have included decrease in paper consumption/printer toner as workflow allows draft letters (currently printed) to be escalated electronically for checking.
- Self Service online permit renewal will be available for customers in this year’s renewal process.
- GPS features and GeoCode in the Handhelds have increased accuracy of evidence collection and improved quality of PCNs issued.
- GPS features and GeoCode enable flexible deployment of Enforcement Staff and resources and management to understand if patrols are being adhered to. This also has environmental benefits.
- Adherence to the Corporate ICT strategy, flexibility, multi- location access and a potential to increase home working are in line with office transformation strategy.
- Finally, the realised improvements to the Enforcement System have generated efficiency through the ability to deliver improved Quality Management and Continuous Operational improvements.